Scuba diving is the perfect way to add adventure to your life – especially diving in Hawaii with Jack’s Diving Locker! The Kona Coast is a world class diving destination with healthy coral reefs, underwater lava formations, and colorful tropical fish. Learn to scuba dive at Jack’s Diving Locker so you can explore this underwater playground. The PADI Open Water Scuba Diver course is an entry-level certification that includes academics, shallow water skill dives, and four open water dives from the shore and boat! You can start immediately with the PADI eLearning program, a user friendly online course that covers the knowledge development portion.
Upon successful completion of this course, Kama’aina students become PADI Open Water Divers and are allowed to rent or purchase scuba equipment as well as plan and conduct open water dives within the limits of their training. Free shore diving maps available for sites such as Place of Refuge (Two Step), La Aloa (Mile Marker Four), Old Airport, Honokohau Harbor, Black Pebble Beach, Puako, and more. Certified divers who like to shore dive in Kona, are encouraged to continue their training in the Jack’s Kama’aina Dive Program with courses such as the PADI Advanced Open Water and PADI Rescue Diver. Kama’aina divers can also join the Jack’s Kama’aina Dive Club for the best deals in town on boat trips and more. Sign up today and let the adventure begin!
2020 Kama’aina Open Water Diver Schedule:
January 11, 18, 19
February 15, 22, 23
March 14, 21, 22
April 11, 18, 19
May 9, 16, 17
Rest of year – coming soon!
– $350 plus tax (regular price $550)
– $190 PADI eLearning (paid directly to PADI)
– $36 student materials (student discount applied)
Total cost — approx. $576-601 plus tax
– Minimum of 3 for this Kama’aina price on the dates scheduled above. We can also schedule a class specific to your schedule with a minimum of 3 people. Additionally, Kama’aina can join with a full-paying Open Water student. Keep in mind though – that if the full-paying person changes their schedule – you will need adjust your schedule as well.
– Proof of full time Hawaii residency (Big Island Drivers License, Voter registration card or proof of local employment) required for Kama’aina price
– Minimum age 12 years old (ages 10 & 11 must have instructor approval)
– Please complete the registration process 30 days or more in advance.
– Start registration by calling Jack’s Diving Locker at 808-329-7585 to make a reservation.
– Next, review the Medical Statement. If you have a YES answer to a medical question, you will need to get a doctor’s approval before starting the course. Please call the shop for assistance.
– Next, begin the online component by clicking on the PADI eLearning or Touch banner below and start the course.
– 24 hour cancellation policy. Cancellations made 24 hours or less prior to course start date will result in full charge.
PADI eLEARNING: The PADI eLearning programs allows you to start the PADI Open Water Diver course immediately with either an on-line eLearning course or the Touch version that allows you to use a tablet like an iPad, and to do most of your studying offline (the initial download, quizes and exams must be done with an internet connection). In addition to the eLearning program, students also participate in five skill development sessions and four open water dives at Jack’s Diving Locker in Kona, Hawaii.
– Tanks, Weights, BCD, Regulator, Wet suit
– Shore and Boat Dives
– PADI eLearning Crew Pak
– Mask, snorkel, fins – try gear in our pool before purchasing! (rental available)
– 10% off most merchandise, $5 off subsequent full–price dive trips
– Join Jack’s Kama’aina Dive Club for more diving discounts
– Complete PADI eLearning course online prior to start date
– Print out PADI eLearning Record Form and bring to class (printer available at shop for travelers)
DAY 1 (8am-4pm*)
– Front counter: Check-in and purchase materials
– Classroom: Complete Quick Review
– Shop: Gear counseling
– Pool: Watermanship assessment
– Pool: Confined Water Skill Dives 1- 5
*Courses typically finish around 4pm. Occasionally they will run as late as 5pm. However, if you are unable to complete the requirements in the allotted time, additional arrangements and fees may be required.
DAY 2 (8am – 4pm)
– Classroom: Briefing for Open Water Dives
– Shore or Boat: Open Water Dives 1 & 2
– Classroom: Log dives
DAY 3 (8am – 4pm)
– Classroom: Briefing for Open Water Dives
– Boat: Open Water Dives 3 & 4
– Classroom: Log dives. Certifications issued upon completion.
Want to try scuba before you sign up for the course? Bring a group of friends and have some fun with one of our PADI professionals!
– Cost: FREE
– Who: All potential students for Kama’aina Open Water course
– Where: Jack’s Diving Locker scuba pool with viewing window
– When: First Monday of the Month
– Time: 5:30pm – 7pm
– Register: Call Jack’s Diving Locker 329-7585